Monday, December 15, 2008

What I Know About: Christmas Gifts for Children

As a child I always thought I had great Christmas mornings! I got a mix of gifts from underwear and socks to the latest baby doll, or board game. I admit I was fortunate, I never remember a Christmas morning where I did not wake my brothers and run out to the living room to see a sea of gifts overflowing abundantly from beneath the tree. Every year I gave my list to my mother to "mail to Santa" and I generally got at least 2 or 3 of those things on the list and was always grateful and thrilled for that. Of course like any kid I stacked my list for good measure. I had a system... I always put something crazy like a pony in the number one slot, so that when "Santa" reviewed the list new bike looked like a reasonable request when positioned next to the pony. Yes even at 8 years old I was strategic. But bike or no bike for me it was more about the flurry of paper and ribbons, then Christmas lounging around, then dinner and fun with the family.

I hear that in many households that the meaning of the holiday is changing? I did not know that you could change a 2000 year old tradition but… okay whatever. From what I understand now the tradition is to spend every dime on sneakers, and handbags, video games, and cell phones. I also hear that if they don’t get every little last thing on their list then the kids are allowed to throw a fit and demand of you the latest in fabulous clothing and gadgets, or you risk being ignored or tormented by their angry rampages?

I have even heard that as a teen you can tell your parents stuff like “This is the phone I want…you can either get me this or nothing” Well I know what my parents would have said if they had been faced with such an ultimatum, but what about you? Do you feel pressured by society and your children to spend obnoxious amounts of money in a effort to win their love and respect?

Parents trust me I understand your dilemma. I too want only the best for my beautiful daughters...I want their eyes to light up on Christmas morning as they tear open the boxes to see the delights of their heart. But I also want the house to light up because I can continue to afford to keep the lights on. Beyond just the cost of it all, I want them to realize that Christmas is more than getting the “Stuff” that you want.

This year…like every year they will get a few of those fancy presents, but mostly books, and board games, art supplies sweaters and stuff.

Personally I think those things prove my love for them even more than a video game or a cell phone. Those things represent practical love. Those things to me represent the fact that I want them to stay warm, and I want to play games with them, and I want them to love art and reading. I want them to know that neither the spirit of Christmas nor my love for them can be measured in the price of the gifts under the tree.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, My husband and I are hoping our kids (4 and 2) are too young to expect too much this Christmas because we don't have a lot of money right now.

I know what you mean about wanting them to be thrilled as they open presents. As of now we don't have any presents for them to open.

But they have everything they need and have gotten a lot of new toys recently from grandparents. Having things to open Christmas day is so important. So we'll figure something out, so it's a special day.

Let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the post on having a simple, family Christmas.

the.frig said...

im in the exact same boat as you Darcy. My kids, 11 and 8 have grown up understanding that any gift on christmas is a blessing.
Over the years my husband and i have gotten in the habit of buying a new board game for the kids. For our youngest this year we got Snorta. He played it at a friends house and couldn't stop talking about it for weeks. These kinds of gifts bring hours of fun for the whole family. It lasts all year, and well after too.
I got snorta off of Amazon or only 20 dollars with taxes and S&H included!

www.letsplaysnorta.com

apparently a great game for the memory. Like i always say, beat Alzheimer's early!

Anonymous said...

I was really worried this Christmas when my husband and I went with the "cash only" policy. As the year began to wind down, I realized my resolution at the beginning of the year, no debt. I'm falling a about 1/4 short of being debt free, but I'm close to being out. I could of run up my credit cards all over again and they could have walked around with everything on their Christmas list, but instead, I bought them what they wanted and I could afford according to my budget.
And like you, I was able to plug in the Christmas tree and light it up. I was able to afford to feed all 15 people that came to the house for dinner. And most important of all I stuck to "cash only" and paid my bills that were due.