Tuesday, December 4, 2007

At Peace

By: Mia L. Black
12/4/07

As we move towards the holiday season and work on stretching the household paycheck and budget, I’ve approached this season with a much needed peace. Peace of mind with my marriage, family, friends, finances, job, and self. Usually at this point of the year I am frantic with trying to figure out how I am going to pay this bill and buy that gift, but I shed that anxiety by approaching the new year without drama.

Now drama for me equals stress. And I refuse to have anymore drama in my life. This does not mean that I won’t have trying moments that test at breaking my spirit, it just means that I am going to tackle them as soon as they poke their ugly faces out and resolve them with sanity instead of emotion. I’ve begun by paying all my bills first. I know that sounds logical, but it means that December’s bills get paid before Christmas shopping begins, not something I have done in past years. I have mastered the catch-up game, but no more playing catch-up. I have also made the decision to leave the plastic at home. No maxing out the credit card this year…again logical, but a change for me. With just these minor changes, I have alleviated a huge 3-month headache. Because when I would forgo a bill or two in December for an overpriced gift, it would take me until February or March with that stupid catch-up game. I know that underneath the Christmas tree will look a bit bare, but after watching my children fight over a diaper box the other day, I’m not going to make myself crazy.

I’ve also started to work on feeding my spirit and doing things I have always wanted to do and take part of. I’ve always wanted to start a club of women that is inclusive of people that I know and don’t know. A club of women who are married, single, and that come from different financial and educational backgrounds. This club is designed as a safe haven for women to come and vent about whatever is going on in their lives, or to share their successes or goals with other women that may have traveled in their shoes or are walking right beside them right now. It is a chance to network and make connections with people that you may have never met before had you not attended. I sent out an e-mail a week ago to set up the first dinner. Almost everyone has responded and I can now check that goal off going into the new year.

Part of feeding my spirit is working on my publishing company. I am awaiting an estimate for illustration for my first children’s book. Once I receive this estimate back, I will work on the funding to make my dream a reality. I will hope from those profits, I will be able to launch my first novel. So the wheels for this have been set in motion. But the reward of accomplishment has already set in. I’m so happy for me.

I can also say that I have a happy home. A home that I look forward to going home to and a life with a family that brings me joy. So many times I have harped on the negative, but I just refuse to have time for the negative anymore. My husband and I have resolved our issues or differences head-on lately, which has lead to unrest with almost immediate peace. Just this subtle change in our disagreement style has allowed for civil confrontation, rather than two days of a silent treatment and outside gossip (I’m talking about him, not me).

All I can reiterate is that I have taken all my walls down and focused on peace and happiness for my life. It may leave me vulnerable, but I am okay with that. Because whoever tries to make me stray from my path of peace, will have to answer to my Maker, because I know He has my back.

No comments: